Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Sarah Polley

Sorry for the lack of blogginess lately. I was working on my hateful thesis much of last week, then Sugarpockets had her graduation, and now I'm in DC, visiting the family and doing very little. The only remotely cool thing to happen to me lately is this: I arrived at Dulles on Sunday night and went to the baggage carousel. As I walked by the gathering of limo drivers, I saw a sign for "S. Polley," and said to my sister (and in jest), "Hey, I guess Sarah Polley's in town." We headed for the luggage belt, and who should sidle up next to us and ask, "Are the bags from Toronto coming here," but Ms. Polley herself. Now, having lived in New York, I know celebrity sightings are only cool when they are totally out of context: the princess of Canadian, indie cinema, thus, getting her bags at an airport in Northern Virginia is way cooler than the time I saw three out of four Baldwin brothers (and one Chyna Phillips) at Sheep Meadow (and, a little later in the afternoon, at Columbus Bakery).

Anyway, Polley was very smiley and normal-looking--cute and pale--and has the same New Balances I do. My sister confirmed it was her when she saw her crooked, fake teeth. Anyway, I guess she's in town promoting her new movie, for which WaPo interviewed her. Also, it should be noted that because she's younger than me and has directed a critically acclaimed film, my erstwhile fanship has given way to professional jealousy--Uzodinma Iweala-style. Jealousy, despite the fact that she was the only interesting part of the over-hyped film version of The Sweet Hereafter (Make no mistake: I love Russell Banks, but I hate Atom Egoyan), was in Go, eXistenZ, and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and pulled an Edward Norton by quitting on Almost Famous so that Goldie Hawn's daughter could get nominated for an Oscar and marry a pretend rock star. Okay, I'm not really jealous. Anyone who takes time away from acting to become a crazy activist, gets her teeth smashed in by Five-0, and then returns to write and direct a geriatric love story is alright by me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Just a minor correction - Sarah's wonderful teeth are all her own. The famously knocked out teeth at the riot / march when she was a teenager were back teeth, so I understand.

Dave S 'Doctorzero99'

cold4thestreets said...

Indeed you are right. Her back teeth were knocked out, but she does have some very interesting, uncorrected, crooked front teeth. I mistook those to be her fake ones, but they are all her own and speak to her un-Hollywood charms.

E said...

huh, who would've guessed? i always had her confused with gretchen mol, that other blonde who almost was an it girl.

Anonymous said...

is gretchen mol even canadian?!
congratulations c4ts! hope you enjoy your time off!

Rachel said...

I hated The Sweet Hereafter when I saw it as a teenager, although people who took Kamir's class have informed me in no uncertain terms that it is VERY DEEP.

Also, I once saw Ben Kingsley in the airport in Prague. And Mario Cantone in Newark Liberty Airport.

Beat that.

E said...

michael stipe was once on my flight to phatlanta at newark.

but mario cantone, i love that dude.