Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Odyssey -- Conclusion

4896 miles and 20 days later, we've arrived. We (that is to say, I) thought about swinging by the Las Vegas courthouse earlier today to check in on OJ, but the appeal of so doing was lost on Pockets.

As we exited our hotel, I told her we should each do one last spin on the slot machines. My one dollar crank yielded a ten-fold return--a good omen, but her luck was sour, sadly. I cashed out and we got in the car. Even the irksome check engine light decided not to follow us to California. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas indeed. Yet another good omen.

We drove. Bugsy Siegel's desert dream gave way to farm country, which then gave way to hills, then to the lights by the Bay. Tonight it's sleep, and tomorrow it's staving off the very real possibility of homelessness--apartment hunting, an odyssey in its own right. More on this later. In the meantime, enjoy my provocative song choices:

LCD Soundsystem -- New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down.mp3
Journey -- When the Lights Go Down in the City.mp3

4 comments:

E said...

no "new york state of mind?"

c4ts, sugarpockets, i am still in denial that you guys are so far away. this is not helping. i'm just gonna pretend that this odyssey was just a preview of c4ts's upcoming book and in fact you guys have decided to move to the BK.

la la la la...what? i can't hear you.

Rachel said...

Have fun apartment hunting, and don't let your blood sugar get too low. Bakesale Betty can help!

cold4thestreets said...

Sadly, E, I think Jack Kerouac already wrote that book, but I like your thinking. From now on, I'm going to say everything I do is "research for my upcoming novel."

rachel, Bakesale Betty sounds good. We'll have lunch there tomorrow.

E said...

eksqueeze me, josh schwartz didn't let 90210 (or saved by the bell, for that matter) stop him from creating the OC.

i expected more from you.