Monday, April 23, 2007

my heart is an apple?

metaphors are tough. my freshman year my prof asked our entire writing class to write a short essay on a song featuring a metaphor. i chose "heart of gold" by neil young because, well, as an earnest freshman, the line "i've been a miner for a heart of gold" seemed pretty fucking awesome. i knew my paper sucked ass, but i had no idea how painful it would be for my prof to read them, as she decided to scrap the assignment altogether.

i've been linking more and more to the daily show/colbert report of late, but this one is a doozy. since c4ts and i agreed in a previous phone conversation that this segment was genius (although my sister deemed this to be too east coast intellectual), i hope he won't ban me from posting from these sources as well. [ed note: that emily person on gawker...genius]

i have admired robert pinsky ever since he guest-starred on the simpsons, but hearing a former poet laureate name-check a pat benatar song was something else altogether. and we all know that sean penn is the coolest guy in the universe.

6 comments:

cold4thestreets said...

No, no. I won't chide you for posting about Comedy Central. I know that after a long day at work that's one of your few pleasures, you tv-less Brooklynite.

As for your professor, would he have accepted similes? Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly? Rock the mic like a vandal? Light up the stage and wax a chump like a candle?

cold4thestreets said...

If this assignment were given today all the freshmen would write about "My Body is a Cage."

E said...

well, i also like to take photos of interesting doors.

also you should check out my other blog on star wars...the strategic missile defense system?

Rachel said...

I am clearly behind on my reading (of your blog) but I want you to know that this clip made me insanely happy.

Adam, never content to let me just enjoy a bit of TV fun, pointed out that the T.S. Eliot quote was a simile, making Penn look bad right off the bat.

E said...

yes, a simile that is just like bush's soiled and bloody underwear.

E said...

yes, a simile that is just like bush's soiled and bloody underwear.