Thursday, June 28, 2007

snackalogical warfare

c4ts, i know you have a blog entry fermenting in that fecund mind of yours, so i will keep my kobayashi- related post rather brief.

does he or doesn't he have jawthritis? even though he said he can barely open his mouth, he has vowed to compete next wednesday. omg...the suspense...

some choice quotes:
The Associated Press reported on Tuesday from Tokyo that “The champ may not be able to chomp.”

“All my friends and family,” he said, “they’re all saying, ‘Don’t pay any attention to it.’ But it doesn’t make sense. Why would anybody say, ‘Oh I’m going to compete, but I’m hurt’?” Mr. Chestnut sighed again and thought out loud: “He’s never gone into it as an underdog.”

Mr. Kobayashi, he said, “could come to the Fourth of July with his jaws wired shut, and I’m sure he could still do all right; he’s that good of an eater.”

“I tell myself that there’s nothing solid inside of me,” he said, “so I can put 14 pounds of food inside. It’s a mental thing, to be able to convince your body that it can do this.” He added, “My body says, ‘Hey, I’m hungry.’ There’s a reason to eat this much food.” [Ed. note: i say this to myself pretty much before every meal.]

3 comments:

cold4thestreets said...

I think I could make an honorable showing in a cookie dough eating contest.

It's funny how this is the most respected of the eating contests--the whole Americana thing, I suppose. Also, you know the FCC wouldn't let ESPN broadcast the mayo eating contest (Actually, that's wrong. Basic cable isn't subject to FCC regulations, right? Whatever). The point is that shit's just obscene.

E said...

i'm sure you remember that FOX (of course, who else) once aired some type of olympics of eating contests called the "glutton bowl." i distinctly remember one of the competitions involving mayonnaise.

indeed, you can find all of the different edibles on wikipedia.

btw, how can my brain be full of this much crap?!

Rachel said...

I saw the end of this year's great battle being rebroadcast on ESPN Wednesday night, and one of the announcers excitedly announced that this could be "THE GREATEST MOMENT IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS!"