Thursday, March 22, 2007

Oh My! I'm a Casual Racist

I really like it when old people confuse casual racism with witty observation or old world charm. There is, for instance, that old lady from Arrested Development, who said to Gob, "You could charm the black off a telegram boy." She ends up choking on a piece of chicken. And then there's CBS sports chief Dick Enberg (pictured). During tonight's broadcast of the Southern Illinois-Kansas game the old-timey announcer attempted to praise the Salukis' Jamaal Tatum, a gifted player--a young black man--with a 3.64 GPA: The only C's he's ever gotten, said Enberg in chuckling disbelief, were in African-American Studies. Whoah! But he's black! How is that even possible?! Don't you get, like, a B just for having awesome dreads like Tatum? I wonder if Enberg thinks I should have done better in that Terrorism and State-Sponsored Violence class I took in college.

1 comment:

E said...

this reminds me of the nytimes tv ad that apparently only my japanese friend and i saw. picture an asian man reading the times in a well-lit room. he looks up from his paper and says, "i like to read news about here...and my homeland."

we never saw that ad again and my friend later met someone from the times who confirmed that they pulled the ad after numerous complaints.